The Swanston Course
Swanston Golf Course was the brainchild of a lady called Miss Carswell in the 1920’s. She took out a lease on the land and set about laying out the course with Herbert More, Swanston’s first greenkeeper.
The original 9-hole layout was opened in 1928 as a ladies-only course but due to a demand from the lady members’ partners it was soon opened up to men and extended to 18 holes. Like most Scottish golf courses built in the boom years between 1880 and 1930, Swanston was built on the only land available in those days (i.e. not prime agricultural land, as this was too valuable in farming).
By 2005 the course was in need of major investment to bring it up to a higher standard and ensure its prosperity for another 80 years. In 2006 work began on seven new holes which opened for play in March 2009; six of them on the neighbouring lower ground (previously agricultural fields) not available to Miss Carswell during the 1920’s. Some improvements have been made to the 11 original holes without losing their character and yet more improvements are planned for the future. In May 2009 the new holes were officially opened by Gavin Hastings OBE, David McLetchie (MSP Edinburgh, Pentlands), Douglas Connon (SGU Chairman), Ethel Jack (SLGA President) and Lynne Kenny (Ladies European Tour Player).
Corporate bookings will benefit from exclusive-use, with full access to the Swanston facilities, including changing rooms, showers, free parking and private dining if required. Footgolf, Disc Golf and Farm Tours are also available to combine in to the perfect package for entertaining your clients or workforce.
Golfers are welcome to visit Swanston Brasserie on the first floor, or make use of the Swanston Golf Club Room on the ground floor next to the Pro Shop.
All golf at Swanston is run by Swanston Golf Ltd and more information including how to play as a non-member, join as a member and book a round of golf can be found on their website.